28 October 2023

Different from the vulgar

 



Abandon learnedness you have no anxiety.
The yes in its addition to [contrast to] the yea mutually differ how little?
The good in its addition to [contrast to] the bad mutually differ how much?

By the people that which is feared not can not be feared.
Desolation! Oh!
It has not yet reached the limit, indeed!

All people [are] joyful, joyful.
They are like celebrating a great feast.
They are like in springtime ascending a tower.
I alone am calm, 
Oh! as he [who has] not yet an omen.
I am like an infant child who does not yet smile.

Forlorn [so] forlorn
Oh! like not having any place whereto to return.
The multitude of people all have plenty.
But I alone [am] like wanting.
I [am] a foolish man in the heart, indeed!

Ignorant, [so] ignorant,
Oh! Common people [are] bright, so bright.
I alone resemble the dull.
Common people [are] smart [so] smart.
I [am] alone confused,
[so] confused.
Desolate! Oh! like the ocean.
Adrift! Oh! like not having any place for anchorage

The multitude of people all have usefulness.
But I alone am awkward and also rustic.
 I alone differ from the people, but prize the seeking food from mother [viz. the Tao].




No comments: